Monday, June 15

Last Interview with 'The Inside Track'

'Sippin On Some Sizzurp'
The first time I ever encountered Canada's national media was on a summer's night in Paris in 2003. I had won a world title and suddenly every reporter wanted to talk to me.




It was cool but very overwhelming, and I didn't know what to say, and what not to say.

I remember talking to Randy Starkman of The Toronto Star while eating all the Parisian delights I could find. I was also having a glass of bubbly and told him that too.




This freaked out our wonderful Media liaison who shot me a look of horror and said to never mention this again! It didn't make the morning press and I'm still not sure if  Randy just didn't hear me or decided it was not part of the bigger story. 

In the six years since, if reporters only knew how many times I was talking to them while sippin on some Spumante Bambino...




Goodbye Inside Track
I don't always love the media aspect of my job,  but I do it and always try to be honest and open about what is going on with me. I have been asked some fluff questions that are easy to answer and I have also been asked some very hard/annoying ones over and over and over...again, and I answer those too.




In all these years of courting the media, so to speak, I have the most fun when I sit down with Robin Brown of CBC radio's Inside Track. and Mark Crawley who makes everything happen behind the scenes. It is a pleasure to speak with someone who is interested in the human side of an athlete. And not just the person who performs. Robin's interviews allow the athletes who go on to expose a facet of themselves that their fans rarely get to see and  that other media don't tap into.




I have no idea what CBC is thinking and why they would let one of their most insightful and peerless programs dissolve. But I will miss the stories that Robin Brown tells every Sunday afternoon at 130 local time, and I am certainly not alone.



Click here to hear my final interview (June 7) on  The Inside Track.
Thanks for all the fun Robin & Mark!
Link: http://podcast.cbc.ca/mp3/insidetrack_20090607_16556.mp3

Ciao,
Perdita

No comments: