Wednesday, June 17

I get a lot of requests to speak at functions and make appearances. It is always hard for me to say no, but some things just don't fit with my schedule. If I had to entertain the number of requests, I would be far from world class and my training would suffer. And the irony is all the requests would stop coming in because I'd suddenly suck.

My management company forwards all requests my way and even when we all know something won't fit, it is still important for me to be the one to say, "this won't work". 

However a request I always try to fulfill is individuals who want autograph photos or a short note of encouragement.


A few days ago I got an email from a mother out West, and when I read it I got goose bumps. This mother believes so fiercely in her daughter and how great that she can be she came to me for help. Her daughter happens to look up to me and she knows that anything I say would serve as some encouragement or a wake-up call.

 Her daughter dropped out of a sport she is incredible at, and is at an age where she is growing emotionally and finding her way. This mother had her daughter very early in life and knows sport can open doors and take her child places she could only dream of. There is a tone to her letter that suggests she refuses to watch her daughter repeat any of the mistakes she may have made.

 I got goose bumps because this was my exact testimony when I was 14. And it was my own mother who fought hard to get me back to track after dropping out for 2 years in high school. At that age I didn't know what an opportunity I was giving up.  I had a chance to excel and be great but I had no idea back then.

 How wonderful is this woman who will not stand idly by and let her own child's potential disappear because she is simply too young to know better. I admire her immensely and know one day (if she doesn’t already) her daughter will realize just how wonderful her mother is.

At that age kids don’t always have the life experiences to comprehend that this could be something they regret down the line.

 I hope I say the right things and make some kind of an impact. The fact that this mother came to me in this capacity humbles me and feels awesome at the same time. Thank you.


 Hats off to all the mothers out there that fight for the dreams of their children!





XO

P

No comments: